Saturday, July 27, 2013

Apothecary Collection


I was so happy to see this teeny-tiny apothecary jar on eBay a few weeks ago. I was even happier when I was the lucky winner!


 
 

 
 I have several and really wanted this size.  I'd seen a similar one at the Portland Expo a few years ago.  They wanted $1500 for it.  Hmmmm.... just a little out of my price range!  :)
 
 
 
My parents collected apothecary jars and had an amazing collection.  That was until the 1971 Northridge earthquake when we were living in Northridge... I believe they lost hundreds of jars.  Luckily all of our family was safe, but it was horrible to see a room full of glass that morning!
 
A few years ago, I started collecting jars from eBay and at antique shows.  When my Mom passed away, I received her HUGE Dakota jar, which I cherish!
 
 
 
Look at the difference in size between these two! 
 
 I'm just amazed that these beauties have survived almost 100 years! 
 
I believe this little one that I just purchased was originally a "Salesman Sample" jar.  I guess it was easier to carry around this little one and take orders for the bigger ones.
 
I've seen collections of these at Disneyland and at Lagoon Amusement park here in Utah.  I love how fun and colorful the candy inside can be.
 
What is your favorite thing to collect?
 
 
Thanks for coming by!
 
Pam


I am linking to the following parties:

 
DIY Show Off
Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home

No comments:

Post a Comment