Thursday, August 18, 2011

My $4 Chalkboard Project

 

I've been so inspired by all of the chalkboard projects out in blogland.  A couple of weeks ago I found a frame at a garage sale for $3.  It was kind of beat up looking, which was perfect for me.  :)




My husband cut a piece of hardboard to fit inside.  I painted the white side of it with Rust-oleum Chalk Board Paint.  The can was $10 at Home Depot





 I put three coats on it, letting it dry completely between coats.  I used a foam roller and alternated directions with each coat.  I probably used 1/10 of the can for this 18x22 piece.



I spray painted the frame with a Flat White paint from Valspar.  It then sat in the garage for 10 days while we were on vacation.  This helped as it was easy to sand down later.
I sanded it down with these:



And here's the finished product. (with my very elementary artistic abilities shown!) 



Since I had just about everything on hand, I figure I spent $4 on it--$3 for the frame and $1 on the amount of chalkboard paint I used out of the can.  

(I found that a damp micro-fiber cloth cleans it perfectly.)


Thanks for visiting!

Pam


I am linking to the following parties: 




vif187
Beyond The Picket FenceDesigner Garden UndertheTableandDreaming

No comments:

Post a Comment